Christmas Flowers - Norfolk Pine

Every year I saw these pine trees in stores at Christmas decorated with red bows. I enjoyed their willowy branches and wished I had room for one. When I moved into a larger home, I decided I would buy one.  It was beautiful, exactly what I wanted, but in the end . . . my house was still not big enough. Within two years the tree was taller than me and I’m 6’ tall! 

But if you still want to try one on your own, I’d say go for it.  Its soft foliage makes a pleasant addition to any room.
Norfolk Pines are not grown on Norfolk Island off the east coast of the US, but grown on Norfolk Island in the South Pacific and reach almost eighty foot when grown in their natural habitat. They are best grown indoors where temperatures stay above 50 degrees. They need bright light, but never put them in the sun.  Drafts, extremes temperatures, and sudden temperature changes will affect the health of the tender pine.

Some keys to keeping them healthy:
               **Water about once a week keeping the soil moist, but not wet.

               **Turn the tree often to keep it symmetrical.
               **Do not prune a Norfolk Pine except to remove dead branches.

               **Avoid direct sunlight as the needles will brown and never be replaced.

If you want to use your Norfolk Pine as a Christmas tree – go right ahead. But remember to keep the soil moist and don’t leave decorations on any longer than necessary. 

The key to this pine tree is remembering despite its aggressive growth rate, it is very delicate.

Norfolk Pine Toxicity:

The ASPCA says the tree can be toxic to dogs and cats.  It may cause vomiting and depression if ingested.

1 comment:

  1. I had a Norfolk Pine once, and I managed not to kill it for about 5 years. Which is remarkable for me. They are quite pretty.

    ReplyDelete