Selecting Plants for your Container Garden


From time to time, people ask me what can I grow in a pot on my patio? Balcony? Or outside my back door?  My reply is . . . anything!  Which is true, but there are basic rules of gardening that apply, like making sure the plant you put in that pot is conducive to the zone you live in, and is there enough sunlight in that area to support the plant’s needs.

Vegetables - Most any vegetable will do well in a pot given enough sunlight and root space.  Don’t expect a tomato to grow well in a confined space.  Beans, broccoli, cabbage, cucumbers, eggplant, onions, squash, or tomatoes are a few examples of what grows well in a container.

Flowers – Annuals are my favorites when it comes to container gardening.  Their short life span makes them attractive bloomers all summer long. I generally use a large pot and pack in every flower imaginable. I rarely spread them out because I the fuller the pot the more I enjoy it.  The roots grow deep with a bigger pot, but it also means I have to stay on top of watering.  I’ll generally place at least one plant in each pot that is a little more sensitive to water deprivation than the others.  If that plant starts to wilt, I know I’ve gone too long between waterings.  Some of my favorite annuals are geraniums, coleus (just for the variety of colors available), impatiens and petunias.

Herbs, roses, shrubs, ornamental grasses, and perennials are also great additions to your container garden, too.  Generally, it’s up to you and your imagination.

Your turn:  What do you like to grow in a container?

No comments:

Post a Comment