The Best Laid Plans


 I work for a very large corporation which takes safety and training as seriously as they do their bottom line. Everyone receives yearly training on possible safety hazards, we have fire drills just like everyone else.  We even had a terrorist drill which included bringing in the swat team to search for wounded employees...and yes, we had volunteers that got to act out the part of the wounded or dead. 
Just recently, because we are located in an earthquake-prone area, we had a drill scheduled for that too.  The safety team has been planning it for months.  They coordinated the drill with local officials on all levels. Fire trucks were lined up on the main road ready to come to our aide. The drill was scheduled for 9:00 a.m. Then suddenly ALL the lights went out.  Something made the power go out and the generators didn't kick in as they were supposed to.  Although, in case of an earthquake, it could occur, this was NOT part of the planned drill.

It made me think of how many times I've made big plans for my life only to have them fall apart.  Or whatever I wanted to do goes through as planned, but I soon learn it is not what I really wanted. I believe God has a sense of humor when it comes to our human nature. He waits p-a-t-i-e-n-t-l-y for us to realize he has our lives in His capable hands.

The poem by Robert Burns says it well: "The best laid schemes of Mice and Men oft go awry,
And leave us nothing but grief and pain, For promised joy!"

Your turn:  Have your best laid plans ever gone awry?

1 comment:

  1. When you ride a bicycle from one part of the country to the other, nothing goes according to plan. N.O.T.H.I.N.G. But, that doesn't mean it's not as good or better than your best laid plan. I've learned to plan, but then roll with the punches. It's all good!

    ReplyDelete