The View from my Window – Eurasian Collared-Dove





The view from my office window includes a bird feeder my husband built for me.  I have seen Brown-headed Cowbirds, Sage Thrushers, White-crowned Sparrows, Quail, Pinion Jays and Eurasian Collared-Doves. The latter being one of my favorite as shown above.  I took this picture of him sitting on a block of bird seed we've set  on the feeder.

At first I thought they were Mourning Doves because they sound just like them.  Their soulful Koo-KOO-kook echoing from their perch at the top of our house to the fence across the street where the male struts his romantic dance for the female all while repeating his touching song.

Actually, the Eurasian Collared-Dove is the chunky relative of the Mourning Dove and gets its name from the blank half-collar at the name of its neck.  These doves made their way to North America via the Bahamas where, amazingly, several birds escaped from a pet shop during a mid-1970 burglary.  The birds spread to Florida and now live over almost all of North America where they seek open sites in agricultural areas where grain is available, including farmyards, fields, and silos. They avoid areas with heavy forest cover or extremely cold temperatures, which explains why they live . . . in the view from my office window.

No comments:

Post a Comment