When is Your Best Time To Write




As with many writers trying to squeak in a little writing time along with the stress of their dreaded day job, family and other responsibilities, I figured the only way to make my writing time l-o-n-g-e-r was to figure out how to write faster. 
I read a book called 2K to 10K: Writing Faster, Writing Better, and Write More of What You Love by Rachel Aaron hoping for some golden nugget to improve my craft.  What I found was a confirmation of what I’d already started to figure out.  Along with a few other nuggets I'll share along the way in upcoming posts.
Today, I am going to focus on when is the best time to write.  We each have our own personal “prime time”.  Some of us are morning people, who can write better when the day is fresh and so is the brain. Others are slow movers and need at least three cups of coffee before even chancing a glance at the computer.  Some are night owls able to plug away at the keyboard until those of us who are morning people (me) are ready to climb out of bed.
If you don't know when your best time to write is, the author suggested making a log of writing times and accomplished word counts along with other details of where and when you are writing.  Because having more time, doesn't necessarily translate into more words on the paper.  By learning when your best writing time and place are, you can actually accomplish more in the less time.

When is your best time to write?  I love early uninterrupted mornings.  How about you?




2 comments:

  1. Being on the road right now, I don't know whether I have a "best" time to write. I suppose it's whenever I can stop, plug in the computer and hammer away. I have to train my brain to be on it's A-game when that opportunity arrives. It usually involves those Golden Arches with wifi too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand, Reba. Sometimes it is all about focusing on what needs to be done.

    ReplyDelete